Scorecast betting is a high-risk, high-reward betting option known for producing unusually high odds. It’s offered on a variety of sports, but is most often associated with football. A variation of this market is known as wincast betting.
How does a scorecast bet work?
A scorecast bet automatically combines a first goal scorer bet and a correct score bet into a single bet, usually with high odds.
1. A first goal scorer is selected from a list of all possible goal scorers.
2. A final score is selected from a list of all possible final scores.
3. The bet is submitted.
4. If both bets win, the scorecast bet is paid out.
Chelsea takes on Barcelona in the Champions League. A bookmaker like Paddy Power offers a scorecast betting market on the match, with drop-down menus for first goal scorer and correct score. You predict that Lionel Messi will score first in the game, and that it will end in a 1-1 draw. The bookmaker offers odds of 33/1 on this outcome.
If Messi scores first and the match ends in a draw, the bet will pay out. Any other result and your bet will lose. For instance, if the match ends in a draw but Messi isn’t the first to score a goal, you’ll lose.
A wincast bet combines correct score betting and anytime scorer betting. This type of bet is slightly easier to win – your scorer selection can score at any time, instead of having to be the first to score in a match, for that section of the bet to win. However, the odds for wincast bets are lower than those for scorecast bets.
Chelsea takes on Barcelona in the Champions League. A popular bookmaker like Bet365 offers wincast betting on the match, with drop-down menus for anytime goal scorer and correct score. You predict that Lionel Messi will score in the game and that it will end 1-1. The bookmaker offers odds of 10/1 on this combination.
If Messi scores at any point and the match ends in a draw, your bet will pay out. With any other result, your stake will be lost.
When to bet on scorecasts
Scorecast betting only makes sense if you’ve already had some success betting on the correct score market or the anytime goal scorer market. The high odds on offer make it tempting to try your luck, but the fact is that you’ll rarely win one of these bets unless you’re good at predicting both markets individually.
Also consider placing several bets on this market to hedge your bets. One way of doing this is to bet on a single player scoring for a range of different scores. Another option is to bet on a particular score and back a selection of players in the process. Always ensure that any one of these bets winning will pay off your cumulative stake and still produce a profit.
What to consider for scorecast betting:
- Ensure scorecast betting is for you: if you don’t have enough information to narrow down both the possible goal scorers in a match and the margin of possible final scores, you may want to give this betting market a miss. You can find very high odds in this market, but you need to be able to narrow down your options on both bets to have a realistic chance of winning.
- Correct score bet: When placing the correct score portion of your bet, you’ll need to pay attention to team form, the relative strength of the two sides participating in the match and the weather and pitch conditions. These will help you narrow down the range of possible scores for the match.
- First goal scorer bet: Several factors influence a player’s chances of scoring a goal. These include player form, recent injuries, fatigue levels, personal issues, record against the opposition, tendency to score goals at a specific stage of a match, partnerships and midfield form. Visit our page on goal scorer betting to find out more about how to improve your odds of winning in this market.